All Elections are important, Disability Rights Iowa encourages participation in elections big and small,with the following goals:
- Encourage voter registration for all Iowans with a focus on Iowans with disabilities and/or mental illness;
- Inclusion of the perspective of Iowans with disabilities and mental illness;
- Increased awareness of issues and policies that affect Iowans with disabilities and/or mental illness;
- Ensuring voting is accessible to all Iowans.
Iowa Voter Resources
- Iowans with Disabilities in Action
- Iowa Association of Counties Voting in Iowa Video Series
- ACLU Iowa – Voting Rights
- Iowa Long Term Care Ombudsman Voting Materials
- Iowa Council of the United Blind voting-is-for-everyone-voting-guide
Call the Secretary of State’s office at 1-888-SOS-VOTE or go to their webpage at sos.iowa.gov for a county auditors directory, to learn how to register to vote, information on absentee ballots, curbside voting, satellite voting , find your polling place, information on accessible voting machines and more.
Here is a simple survey to help you determine if you polling place is accessible:
National Voter Resources and Information:
Nonprofit VOTE – Nonprofit VOTE partners with America’s nonprofits to help the people they serve participate and vote. One of the largest source of nonpartisan resources to help nonprofits integrate voter engagement into their ongoing activities and services.
“Access Denied – Barriers to Online Voter Registration for Citizens with Disabilities” , A 2015 Report by the American Civil Liberties Union.
Disability Rights Iowa Voter Rights Factsheets
Accommodations at the Polling Place
Assistance if Unable to Access the Polling Place
Different Ways to Vote in Iowa
Iowans With Disabilities Voter Eligibility and Rights
Voter Registration in Iowa
Voting and Guardianships
2016 Iowa Caucus Follow Up – What is Disability Rights Iowa Doing
Disability Rights Iowa is committed to making the Iowa caucuses as accessible as possible to all Iowans.
2016 IOWA CAUCUS UPDATE
Disability Rights Iowa continues to explore ways to improve our Iowa caucuses. In Fall 2017 Disability Rights Iowa meet with both the Republican and Democratic party chairs to continue discussion aimed at making the Iowa caucuses more accessible.
If you would like to share your experiences at the Iowa Caucus please take our 2016 Iowa Caucus Experience Survey here.