Disability Rights IOWA (DRI) receives funding as part of the Help America Vote Act of 2002 (HAVA) to provide education, training, and assistance to individuals with disabilities that will promote their full participation in the electoral process.
The purpose of this program is to ensure full participation in the electoral process for Iowans with disabilities, including registering to vote, casting a vote and accessing polling places. In order to provide PAVA services, payments are made to the Protection and Advocacy system (i.e., DRI), which was established pursuant to part C of title I of the Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act (42 U.S.C. §15001).
PAVA may serve people with a disability. DRI uses the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) definition of disability:
- A physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity;
- A record of such impairment(s); or
- The perception of having such an impairment.
Additional information and/or clarification may be required.
DRI may provide the following PAVA services:
- Ensure full participation in the electoral process for individuals with disabilities, including registering to vote, casting a vote and accessing polling places;
- Support training in the use of voting systems and technologies; and
- Demonstrate and evaluate the use of such systems and technologies, by individuals with disabilities (including blindness) in order to assess the availability and use of such systems and technologies for such individuals.
None of the funds shall be used to initiate or otherwise participate in any litigation related to election-related disability access.
PAVA is authorized in:
- 42 USC §15461-62, P.L. 107-252
First Authorization: Help America Vote Act of 2002
PAVA is administered and regulated by:
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
Administration for Children and Families (ACF)
Administration on Developmental Disabilities (ADD)
HHS, Mail Stop HHH 453-G, 370 L’Enfant Promenade, SW, Washington, DC 20447
Phone: (202) 401-6970, Fax: (202) 690-6904
Administration on Developmental Disabilities
American Association of Persons with Disabilities – Disability Voting Project
Questions about PAVA? Contact Us:
You can also find more information on our Voter Resources page.