Opening Date: September 3, 2019
Closing Date: Monday, September 30, 2019 (This position is open until filled, but applications submitted by 5:00 p.m. CT on September 30, 2019 will be considered for the first round)
Job Type: Full Time, Non-Exempt
Pay Range: $32,000-$36,000/year depending on experience
Benefits: DRI offers a comprehensive benefit plan for eligible employees. Benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, basic life, short-term and long-term disability insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan, and flexible spending accounts. Flexible spending accounts feature reimbursement for both medical and dependent care.
Time-off: DRI offers a generous holiday time off, paid sick time and vacation accrual package to full-time employees.
Agency Description: Disability Rights Iowa (DRI) is a well-established innovative, non-profit, legally-based organization dedicated to advancing the rights of Iowans with disabilities, including individuals with mental illness. DRI is the federally-mandated protection and advocacy agency for individuals with disabilities in Iowa. Disability Rights Iowa works to achieve fairness and justice for people with disabilities through quality legal representation, advocacy, investigations of abuse and neglect, peer/self-advocacy services, community partnerships, legislative and regulatory advocacy work, education and outreach. DRI”s legal work includes individual and impact litigation. For more information, go to www.disabilityrightsiowa.org.
Intake Specialist Job Description: The Intake Specialist handles all initial requests for assistance received by DRI and works with an Intake Team consisting of an attorney and advocate to staff all requests, initial screening for eligibility, opening cases when appropriate and providing Information and referral.
- Interviews callers with requests for assistance to obtain basic information, determine nature of the problem and desired resolution.
- Participates in twice weekly Intake Team meetings to staff all requests for assistance.
- Provides information and referral assistance to callers when issue and/or caller are not eligible for full intake.
- Maintains data base on callers and requests for services.
- Ability to deal with clients who are in crisis or in stressful situations.
- Develops a resource bank for the agency.
- Use Microsoft Office software on a personal computer.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: (Applicants must meet each of the qualifications to be considered for an interview)
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Social Work, Education, Psychology, Rehabilitation Counseling, Disability Studies or another related field of study;
- A minimum of one year previous experience working with people with disabilities and/or mental illness;
- Strong and effective writing and verbal communication skills, including the ability to do so in a concise manner, even when doing so regarding complex issues;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Excellent interpersonal , relationship-building and collaboration skills to be able to work with others inside and outside of the organization
- Ability to analyze complex problems and develop creative solutions;
- Ability to maintain thorough and complete records; and
- Ability to work independently with appropriate supervision.
- Experience with or sensitivity to individuals with disabilities and/or mental illness;
- Experience with or sensitivity to individuals from ethnic or language-distinct communities; and
- Knowledge of laws, rights and services as they pertain to individuals with disabilities and/or mental illness.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Disability Rights Iowa is an Equal Opportunities Employer. It is the policy of Disability Rights Iowa to prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, pregnancy, medical condition or genetic information, veteran status, national origin, disability, marital or other protected status.
E-mail cover letter and, resume to:
Katie VandeVorde, Operations Manager, Disability Rights Iowa at firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please.