Tax Assistance

Proof of your social security benefits for tax purposes: The SSA-1099 shows your annual income for income tax purposes. An SSA-1099 is mailed to you in January showing the total amount of benefits you received in the previous year. If you are a nonresident alien who received or repaid Social Security benefits last year, you will receive an SSA-1042S instead. 

Request a SSA-1099 or SSA-1042s: Request a replacement of your most recent year SSA-1099 or SSA-1042s or a replacement for earlier years.

Earned Income Tax Credit: EITC, the Earned Income Tax Credit, sometimes called EIC is a tax credit to help you keep more of what you earned. It is a refundable federal income tax credit for low to moderate income working individuals and families.

Tax Credit and Benefits: As a person with a disability, you may qualify for some of the following tax deductions, income exclusions, and credits. More detailed information may be found in the IRS publications referenced.

Free Tax Preparation Assistance: The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Grant Program is an IRS initiative designed to promote and support free tax preparation service for the under-served, in both urban and non-urban locations. Service is targeted to low-to-moderate income individuals, persons with disabilities, the elderly, and limited English speaking.

For more information about Benefits Planning, contact:

Voice: 1-866-968-7842

TTY: 1-866-833-2967

You will then be contacted by a local Community Work Incentives Coordinator.