What We Do
DRI envisions a world in which individuals with disabilities and mental illness have equal access and opportunity to live, work, and learn in the most integrated settings. Each year, DRI carefully allocates our limited funding to designated areas of focus to capture the needs of as many Iowans with disabilities as possible. We look to the community to provide insight into their needs and adjust our Areas of Focus to reflect that. Although our areas of focus are continually evolving, we will always defend the rights of individuals with disabilities and mental illness.
- free legal and advocacy services to Iowans with disabilities. DRI has the authority to
- investigate complaints of abuse or neglect of individuals with disabilities, including individuals with significant mental health issues.
Areas of Focus
Accountability of Systems
Keep Iowans with Disabilities Safe.
- Abuse and Neglect: Facilities and Congregate Settings
- Abuse and Neglect: Home and Community Based Services
- Abuse and Neglect: Youth Facilities
- Representative Payee
All Iowans with Disability possess the Civil and Human Rights afforded to all.
- Right to Access Government Services and Programs
- Right to Access Public Accommodation
- Unnecessary Substitute Decision Making
Iowans with Disabilities live, work, and learn in the community of their choice with necessary support and services.
- Community Integration
- Community Based Support Services
- Medicaid Services and Supports
- Assistive Technology
- Employment – Reasonable Accommodations
- Benefits Planning
- Employment – Vocation Services and Employment Networks
- Barriers to Employment
- Education – Challenging Behaviors
We want to hear your voice!
We seek to reflect the community’s needs by encouraging individuals to suggest new areas of focus as needed. Our priority is to help Iowans with disabilities where they need it most. If you have a suggestion, please fill out our form.
Reach out to DRI if you have an issue that falls within our areas of focus.
Want to learn more?
DRI provides an extensive resource center so you can learn more about your rights.